Friday, August 25, 2006

Before and After

Someone mentioned the other day that they were amazed at how I had changed so much in the 4 years since becoming a mother. That comment really got me to thinking about how my life (habits, priorities, etc.) has changed since becoming mommy to my 4-year-old, 2-year-old and 2-month-old children. Mentally I began to compare my life now to what it was like back in my baby-less days. I just had to smile.

When choosing clothes:
Before kids--Knee-length, black leather jacket or 2-piece swimsuit
After kids:--a shirt that's not too tight that my breast pad circles show through. (A "favorite" lately is my "Don't be a chicken, donate blood" T-shirt in XXL. )

Book of choice:
Before kids--any kind of fiction thriller
After kids--Myrtle the Turtle

Make-up:
Before kids-- Wake up and make-up
After kids--I don't want to wake up. Where is my make-up?

Favorite passtime:
Before kids--cooking and baking
After kids--finding ways to get out of cooking and baking

Re-energizing:
Before kids--A looooong soak in a bubble bath with a mug of coffee, my Bible and candles everywhere.
After kids--A quick glass of apple juice and spirulina. I still do the bubble bath from time to time but it's not as long as before for 2 reasons: I get so sleepy that I have to get out or risk dying an embarassing death. Or it's just not as good as it used to be due to the little people pounding on the door because they "have to tell me something".

In my purse:
Before kids--make-up, money
After kids--diapers, less money

Now, I'm sure you've figured out by now that I've approached this "before and after" comparison of my life in a tongue-in-cheek manner. My children bring me exceptional joy in spite of the many... er, adjustments I have had to make in order to make all our lives a little smoother. One important lesson I have learned is, "If you can't lick 'em, join 'em". I can't count the times I've set out to have a nice, quiet bubble bath only to have Nate and Abi join me. (They helped me rediscover the wonder of bubble beards.) And Myrtle the Turtle has become one of my favorite stories (hey, there is a lesson to be learned there). I have a feeling these "baby days" will be over before I know it and I'll once again be able to don my leather jacket--without fear of getting peanut butter smudges on it.

No comments: