Saturday, September 02, 2006

'Taters

Most of you know that last Spring Hetee and a group of young guys from church planted a field of potatoes. These guys were "trouble teens" when we first met them. All 5 of them grew up without fathers and some of them have been in and out of jail several times. Working with them has been an adventure in itself!

Anyway, I wanted to be a part of the whole potato project so Hetee took me out to the field yesterday and taught me a thing or two about harvesting potatoes. It was a bit like digging for treasure and once I got the hang of it, it was hard to stop. But since I'm a bit out of shape since Kenny's birth, I had no choice but to put the shovel down after the 3rd patch.

We gathered our "harvest" of about 20 potatoes (the boys will harvest the rest of the potatoes this week) and headed home. We made a huge pot of Borsche with beef, fresh potatoes, carrots, beets and cabbage.

Ah, Fall! My favorite season in Mongolia!

No comments: