Sunday, March 16, 2008

This morning I was reading the Bible in Psalms where David talks about coming to God as a weaned child. I had read that passage many times before but never quite grasped the meaning of the words.

About 2 weeks ago, I weaned my baby. He'll be 2 in June and it was just getting to be "that time". It took a full 7 days of "Sorry, finished" before he finally let go. Then, all of a sudden, it was over. Our nursing relationship was gone. It was bittersweet but I knew it was for the best. I had been nursing/pregnant pretty much for 5 years and I was becoming exhausted. Now, 2 weeks down the road I'm gaining weight and feeling a lot better. And Kenny has grown into a toddler almost overnight!


Our relationship has changed but in a way I didn't expect. We're closer. Before he used to come to me for nourishment. Now, when he comes, it's out of a desire to be near me and feel my presence.

This scene repeats itself a hundred times a day: Dragging his "bobby" (he has a blankie called "bobby", too, just like his big sister), he sidles up to me and asks, with a slight lisp, "Mommy, sit". I oblige and he crawls on my lap just to be with me. After a few minutes of "being", he whispers "buya"(the Mongolian word for "get down"), then off he goes.

Don't get me wrong, I love nursing and the closeness it brings. But I think it's so sweet that during those time of togetherness he doesn't ask me for anything. Not to nurse, not for a cookie or for me to take him outside. He just wants to hang out. With me.

Made me think about my time spent with God. Am I too preoccupied with my needs that I don't spend time just hanging out in His presence? This week I'll be working on coming to God with a meek spirit, and making Him the focus of my prayer time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...This is great insight. Thanks!
Makes me think...

~ Amanda ~ said...

i've never really understood that phrase in psalms but now it is so clear. thanks for sharing what you are learning!

david santos said...

Excellent posting.
Thank you.

Twila G. said...

What a beautiful, insightful post! I needed this. Thanks.

mandkhaic said...

We will be there on Saturday. See you then for sure if not sooner. Sorry I could not be reached. Will call you today

EllaJac said...

I haven't thought of it in the sense of 'coming' to enjoy God's presence... though I've recognized an unweaned child is all panting and grasping and fussing to 'get'. Excellent thoughts..