Friday, April 03, 2009

Lessons and a Thank You

These days I've been doing a lot of thinking about effectively passing on lessons of faith to my children. Not just the ones we read about in the Bible, but the ones I am learning myself in every day life. I was praying recently and asking God to help me to share more of my learning moments with my kids. God showed me that I needed to automatically teach them and pass down to them what He was teaching me. Then that night He gave me my first lesson.

It was almost bedtime and I was running late for preparing a batch of chocolate chip cookies for Abi's birthday party the next morning. The kids asked if they could help me make them. I agreed but told them they would not be able to eat any that night because it was nearing bedtime, that they could have some the next day.

They helped contentedly and didn't say a word about eating any that night. After we put the cookie dough together they brushed their teeth and their daddy put them to bed. I started baking the cookies and after about 30 minutes I heard excited whispering coming from the kids' room.

"Mmmmm, it smells so good! I can't wait till tomorrow!"

"Me too! I hope tomorrow comes fast. The cookies are going to taste so yummy!"

I smiled as I thought of how God has blessed me many times in the past, for no reason but to break the rules and show me his love. I felt the need to pass this lesson of love and mercy on to my kids so I prepared for a "midnight picnic".

It was only about 9:30 but late enough to make it fun and exotic for the kids. I got 4 glasses of milk and put 4 of the biggest cookies on a plate and went into their room. I told them that we were going to enjoy our cookies tonight, even if it was late. We sat down and munched away (we kept it a secret from daddy. Somehow it seemed more fun that way). The kids were very grateful and went back to bed with warmed tummies and hearts.

During our trip we were blessed a number of times by people we had just met, our hosts in Singapore and Malaysia especially. Many, many people donated so that we could go and once we were there, a day didn't go by that God didn't bless us in some major way. Not to mention the fact that right before we left for Singapore we found out that I was pregnant, a wonderful blessing in itself.

So many blessings left us feeling like we didn't deserve it. And I suppose we don't. But that's His mercy. His love. He slips us a cookie after bedtime and it tickles Him to watch us enjoy and appreciate it. He's a good God.

Hetee and I would like to say "thank you" again to all of those who gave to make our trip possible. To all of you who prayed, thank you! Thanks again, Mom and Dad for taking care of the kids! We had an unforgettable time. We made friends and we made memories. To our hosts, Steven and Cynthia, Chui-En and Keh Ching: thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts for a most memorable time and for beautiful fellowship in the Lord.

I want to say thanks to my hubby for putting up with my picky nauseated self while we were supposed to be having the "perfect" vacation. For letting me sleep in, for not rolling his eyes when I bought something to eat only to take a bite and lose all appetite for it. For letting me have the window seat on every single flight and for supporting me through all my potty breaks. You're the best, Babe!

2 comments:

Sue said...

What a great post! Thanks for that reminder. I'm sure your kids will remember that late-night cookie picnic for years to come.

Tracie Markley said...

You are an inspiration to me Melanie. I just might have to try the midnight picnic with my girls. They would love it!