Friday, November 24, 2006

The Dumbest Question Ever Asked

Today I was talking to a teenage girl who just found out she's pregnant. I have known this girl for about 2 years and she has always been very, um...ditzy, I guess would be the nicest way to put it.

Well, I hadn't seen her in a while so when I heard, through the grapevine, that she was pregnant I kinda expected to find her in a more mature or at least sobered state of mind. Instead she outwitted her previous ditzyness by asking me if it's ok to chew gum when your pregnant.

Now, I get asked tons of pregnancy-related questions and I have never come across this one. But I don't think it would have been so bad if she wouldn't have waited until the end of my long, serious-as-a-heart attack dialogue about her future and the option of not marrying the guy just to get out of being a single mom etc. It was when I asked, with a dour expression on my face, "Do you have any questions?" that she sprang it on me. I felt something like a panicky, chuckly sort of feeling welling up inside as it dawned on me that things were more serious than I had previously thought. They should make a pill for that kind of ignorance!

No comments: