Saturday, May 30, 2009

This and That

Today we went out to survey the effects of the recent dip in temperature and to our surprise, our carrots and turnips/beets are sprouting. Also some lettuce seems to be poking through as well. It's nice to see that after last Wednesday's snowy/windy/rainy weather. Hopefully the cold spells and frosts are behind us and we can get on with growing our little crops.

So far, we are looking forward to harvesting: potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets, radishes, lettuce, broccoli, spinach, onions, garlic, and some hot peppers.

Still, we have yet to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers. We want to wait until we know the warm weather is here to stay. Soon!

As first time gardeners, Hetee and I sometimes wonder if we were too ambitious planting such a variety of things. Neither of us have particularly green thumbs and I especially have been known to kill plants despite my good intentions. But this time, I'm encouraged and have seen that with a little effort, things really can grow around me. =)

The last few days I've been feeling the baby move. It's such an awesome feeling that I never get used to. =) My tummy is expanding and on some days, the stretching ligaments can be very uncomfortable. But I see it as a reminder to take it easy (and make other people do stuff for me haha!)

My friend, Amanda, was here visiting this week and left today. For the past 2 years she has been living and teaching English in UB. Her time in Mongolia is over and she will be returning to the States on Sunday. We don't know when we'll see each other again but hopefully it won't be too long. Amanda, good luck with eberything and I hope you don't peel too bad about leabing Mongolia... =)

All for now...duty calls! Actually it's cuddle/sleepytime for me and Kenny-- a very important part of the day!

3 comments:

Gombojav Tribe said...

Your springy blog template looks nice! :-)

gerlee said...

hi, mel! your blog looks really cute!

~ Amanda ~ said...

i was sad to leabe, but i'm peeling much better now. i watched some moy moy palaboy last night and laughed and laughed. they are so punny, punny priends.