Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Bad, Bad Momma

In case you're wondering what I've been up to over here in my little corner of the world, I've been having a week-long pity party, stopping momentarily only to revel in my guilt at what a bad mother I am for letting this happen.

The week before last, Nate started complaining of a toothache. We had taken him to the dentist about 6 months ago to look at that same molar as it was getting a spot on it. The dentist applied some liquid to it and told us it should stop the cavity from progressing. Well, here we are, 6 months later and it's hurting. Bad. So last Friday, after several attempts we finally get to the dentist and she informed us that he will need to have it filled but before that, the INFECTION IN HIS GUM has to be treated! Oh, and he has another cavity on the other side!

The dentist drilled and did a root canal on the first molar without and kind of painkiller or tranquilizer!!!!!!! (Oh, my poor baby!) He was so brave and barely even flinched although he admitted later that it hurt. The second root canal was done today and he had a couple times where he was in pain and said he would not open his mouth anymore. I told him to think about how he helped me get through Kenny's birth by holding my hand, etc. I told him I'd hold his hand and help him get his mind off the pain, too. He opened his mouth again and handled the rest like a pro. We have 2 more days of treatment/cleanings (the dentist wants to make sure that all the pain/infection is gone) then he will get the fillings. I've never had a root canal and I really feel for him.

At the beginning of the whole ordeal I told him with tears in my eyes that I wished I could take his pain and have the root canals for him. A couple days later Nate was at the kitchen table holding his cheek while I was taking my vitamins (I have a bad cold). He said, "Mommy, I wish I could take your cold and have it instead of you."

How could I let this happen? I breastfed him until he was 2 and a half! I taught him how to care for his teeth from an early age! I never give him juice or sodas and we drink water or milk at home! He eats very little sweets and has a good diet overall so I just don't see how this could have happened. I feel terrible and I'm crying my eyes out and I know you're just gonna say, It's ok, it could have happened to anyone." but we all know that doesn't help.

Anyway, thank God for His mercy. The gum infection was gone within 24 hours of praying and treating with tea tree oil. I also juiced some carrots for him to drink as vitamin A helps fight infection.

He's been a real trooper and, at 5 year of age, is more man than most of the men reading this right now.

Please keep Nate in your prayers these next few days, as we finish up at the dentist. It's been a trying time for him and he needs healing and rest.

3 comments:

mandkhaic said...

I had gone though the same with Reuben, when he was three years old. He had a perfect teeth without any spots. But when his dentist did routine x-ray, he had like five cavities in process but you could see them only by x-ray. I took care of Reuben and watched what he ate and drank and had started brushing his teeth as soon as he eats sweets etc. But it turned out when I was pregnant with Reuben, I was in Mongolia where there is so little chemicals in water to prevent things like cavities but it had effected my baby's future teeth in the womb.So blame it on Mongolian water and know that I trully feel for you. Love you, girl!

Gombojav Tribe said...

Do you know about Tooth Soap?

http://www.perfect-prescription.com/index.html

I think Meg got Gana's genes as far as teeth go. Not good! But, we've managed (somehow!) to avoid fillings. I really believe it's due to Tooth Soap and that we stopped using toothpaste.

Hope this helps!

Twila G. said...

Please tell Nate that his new American friends (Caleb and Heidi) feel very sorry that he has had so much pain and are praying for him. They both know what its like to have had painful dental experiences. Heidi also had to have a root canal and suffered a great deal. Please don't beat yourself up over this. You are not alone. My poor Heidi probably needed glasses for 6 months before it finally dawned on me that she couldn't see. When she finally got her glasses she just thanked and thanked me and said it was like someone had "cleaned the windows" of her eyes. I felt terrible. I've felt like a bad momma more times than I can count. Thankfully my heavenly Father and my family are very forgiving. The hard thing is forgiving myself. I will pray that God will give you the strength to do that. Thanks for writing such an honest and transparent post. I needed that.